New Year’s Eve is arguably the only time I experiment more with makeup! This year I wanted to so a really different eye look. Now I’m no genius, this look is inspired by this. Not sure who the original blogger is but if you do, please let me know so I can give credit.
I changed it up a bit to suit my eye shape. I don’t like a lot of makeup on the bottom and I also have hooded/deep set eyes. but you will need to change the crease position depending on your eye shape. Let’s get started! ^_^
Step by Step
1. Prime your eyes, chances are pastel shades aren’t the most pigmented. You’d also need a primer if you want this to last all night! I’m using the Urban Decay Primer Potion.
2. We want a hard edge for the look. Apply a cello/scotch tape or post-it as shown in the picture. If you have a hard time placing it, consider a diagonal line from the edge of your nose, through the edge of your eye and where it meets the end of your eyebrow.
3. We start my outlining the black area. Take a black eyeliner and draw a line across the lash line. Also extend it halfway along the tape. I’ve used Mac Technakohl Liner in Graphblack.
4. Try to be a little bit precise now. Use a black eyeshadow with a liner or angled liner brush and draw a line across your crease. Now you need to consider your eye shape here. I have very deep set eyes and I’ve drawn the line below my crease otherwise it gets pushed back, makes my eyes looks even more deepset and it can also smudge against the hooded part of my lid. If you have a normal eye shape, just draw across your natural crease line. For mono lids or similar, don’t draw it too far, draw it where you usually apply a crease colour. So just make a thin line upto where the inner corner begins. We will be blending it out a bit later. I’m using Mac Carbon here.
5. Now there is a triangle created in your outer corner. Fill it up slightly using the name black eyeshadow. We will make this darker and blend after the next step.
6. Take a light blue eyeshadow and pat it on your lid. Don’t sweep it across the lid, get maximum colour pay off by just patting in layers. When you take the eyeshadow on your brush, remember to shake off the excess otherwise you will end up with a lot of fall out. I’m using a blue eyeshadow from the Sigma Creme de Couture palette. As far as possible stay within the black outlines.
7. Now you can see it materializing well! Now it’s time to add more definition to the black areas of our look. That triangle looks messy, draw another triangle over it to intensify the look. This time I’m using Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean because it’s very very dark. If you are using a cream eyeshadow, remember to blend quickly!
8. I want the black area to be just a little bit sparkly, so I’ve taken a shimmery black eyeshadow on my blending brush and I’ve using that in short sweeping motions to blend the black and blue areas. I’m using a black shade from my Dior Gris Gris palette.
8. Take a brown eyeshadow on a tapered brush which is slightly darker than your normal lid colour and sweep it over the black outline on the upper part. Take it right upto the tape and it will create a nice gradient. I’m using Urban Decay Buck here.
9. Time to add some sparkle! I didn’t want to use glitter but there is this really pretty Inglot AMC pigment 59 which is white and has a blue iridescence. It’s gorgeous! So You can also use a silver eyeshadow. Take it on a shader brush again, tap off the excess and just place it over the blue portions on your lid. You can also eye a glitter eye liner. Take the glitter on your finger and very lightly pat it over the lid.
10. You can how take off the tap! Again, use an eyeliner to draw a thicker line along your lashes. I’m using a Rimmel liquid liner. Apply eyeliner to the bottom lash line well. Make it as thick as you’d like.
11. Now draw a small line in the opposite angle from your bottom lash line. Keep it short. Use the same brown eyeshadow you used in the crease to extend it and soften it’s look. Apply the blue eyeshadow carefully in the angle created.
12. Finally, apply mascara or false lashes as you prefer. I’m using the Revlon Grow Luscious mascara.
Hope you guys liked the look! If you don’t want to use the blue, this will look great with silver or gold eyeshadows as well!
What are your plans for the new year?